Friday, September 5, 2008

Paid Link - Good, Bad Or Evil?

Should you buy links? Google is said to not like paid links. As an SEO, I am still not sure! How easy would it be to make your competitor at the top of the search engine rankings loose their number one spot by buying a few paid links for them? The only problems with this idea are the fact that 1 it's unethical 2 it's costly and 3 it might do more good than harm!

I think that buying a few well targeted links with sites that are very relevant to your own site AND will actually bring your some traffic maybe a good idea. This is not to say that I don't make my clients fully aware that Google is said to frown upon this practice before I ever suggest buying a link. I try every method available to me before I go ahead and suggest that maybe we should try purchasing a well targeted text link.

Basically, you need to follow the Google informal corporate motto, and 'Don't be evil'. If you are trying everything and are still not getting anywhere, it might be time to start looking for that link. There are many link brokers available and some of the big webmaster forums can help you find a related URL.

I would suggest that if you do think about buying a link, make sure the site has PageRank and does not have more than 10 outgoing links if possible. The less outgoing links on a page the better - so it would be a good question to ask how many links they intend selling.

My final point though, would be to try ethical ways of getting to the top before you consider buying a link - everything is achievable given enough time and back links! If you bombard your site with hundreds of paid links, you run the risk of loosing all the good work you have put in already.

Website Promotion

SEO Company Manchester

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home